Friday, July 8, 2011

Financial Friday: DIY - The Tshirt Skirt

I hate shopping, and I'm all about repurposing, so when I saw this post on "How to Make a Skirt out of a Tshirt", I had to give it a whirl. I am by no means anywhere close to being an expert on sewing, in fact, I haven't touched a sewing machine since middle school. BUT, this looked so incredibly easy, so here's my attempt and what I did:

Materials:
-Tshirt (Make sure there's no designs from the armpit down)
-Thread
-Elastic Thread
-Scissors
-Sewing Machine "Duh"

I bought the thread at JoAnn's and used a 50% off coupon (of course). I used around 1 1/2 spools of elastic thread and 1/4 of the all-purpose thread. The total cost for 1 new-ish skirt was less than $2.50. Not bad!

Directions:
1) Choose a Tshirt that is free of designs (at least from the arm pit down). Make sure the length of the shirt is long enough for your legs. You don't want to be showin' too much. You generally want to choose a shirt in the same size you wear on top. You will lose 1-2 inches in the waist as you start sewing.
2) Starting from directly under the armpit, cut the Tshirt straight across. Dispose of the top 1/2 of the shirt. (Mine looks crooked - BUT when I measured the original length, it was off.  So I had to cut it crooked for it to be straight...make sense?)
3) Thread your machine. Make sure your thread matches the color of your shirt as close as possible.
4) Wind your bobbin with Elastic Thread. You will need to do this by hand. Don't stretch the elastic, just wind it normally and loosely. The elastic thread doesn't necessarily have to be the same color of the shirt since it's on the inside. (I did a grey shirt with black elastic thread.)

So you should now have your machine ready to go with normal thread on top, elastic in your bobbin, and a shirt cut and ready for sewin'.

5) Set your machine to the longest stitch, tightest tension. This helps create the shirr effect.
6) Start sewing your first row. I line up the edge of the shirt to the edge of the presser foot.
7) Use your presser foot as a guide to sew all your rows. I generally sew 8-12 rows.
8) To help keep everything in place, and to make life easier, I back stitch every row so the stitching does not come undone.

After you've done as many rows as you want - YOU ARE DONE! You have just created a cute, form-fitting, comfortable skirt from a Tshirt!  If you want more "scrunch" to your shirring, you can steam the inside of the skirt with your iron.  Don't iron it, just shoot it with some steam.

I've made a black one and grey one out of actual tshirts for myself. This one, I made for my mom out of a thicker shirt material. It still works the same, though! Hopefully you can try it out yourself.

Enjoy the FREE savings?
Subscribe & get updates sent directly to you  HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment