Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Terrible Target Experience #5848392

I am now going to tell you about my “wonderful” Target experience.

Let me tell you, I have NEVER had a pleasant Target experience.  I have had to call corporate several times.  The cashiers just are not trained to know what you can and cannot do regarding coupons.  Now usually the “Leader on Duty” is supposed to be able to answer your questions and help the cashier out, but this was not the case today.

Currently, you can get FREE Light Bulbs.

GE Energy Smart Light bulb - $2.69
-Use $1.00 Printable Coupon
-Use $2.00 Target Coupon (adjusted down to $1.69)

I bought 4, so I had a total of 8 coupons.

The cashier I had was actually pretty nice, but did not know to adjust the coupon down, so my total went negative.  She then started to freak out, and called another girl over to get some help.  That girl did not know what to do, so she walkie-talkie-ed an LOD, “Leader on Duty.”  By this time, 4 people had lined up behind me :)

5 minutes later, the guy comes over and tries to figure it out.  They had my coupons spread out ALL over the place and tried to figure out why it went negative.  I then tried to explain the Target coupon needed to be adjusted.

I don’t know if he just didn’t get it, or I was talking to fast, or he doesn’t know simple math, but he didn’t get anything I was saying!

LOD – You have more coupons than items.
Me – Well yes, because I have a manufacturer coupon & a target coupon.
LOD – Well, we just need to take a coupon off.  Total - $1.01
Me – That is incorrect.  (He gave me the “It's a freaking dollar!” look)
Me – You have to adjust the target coupon down to $1.69
LOD – We can’t adjust a target coupon.
Me – Yes you can, I’ve done it several times.
LOD – Well, I don’t know who you’ve been talking to, but you can’t do that.
Me – OK, well let’s just cancel it.  (I was peeved at this point…then he became more peeved at me)

So as he was canceling everything, I got my phone out and called Target Corporate.  And YES, I have corporate numbers on my phone!  I talked to a lady, who was very helpful and confirmed that I COULD, in fact, adjust a Target store coupon.  She then put me on hold, and called THE store and talked to THE person who told me I couldn’t.

5 minutes later, she apologized, said she talked to THE guy (and YES, I made sure to get his name) and talked him through on how to adjust a coupon, and he should be coming back to ring me up.

This guy didn’t have the guts to come back out, so he sent someone else.

Needless to say, I got my 4 FREE light bulbs, and left the store with a handful of red-shirt-wearing employees talking about me while I was walking out.

Just my little story…I’m sure there will be more to come!  haha

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha that's awesome, Leah! You're ferocious at those coupons!
    ~Dara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why wouldnt you buy something else to cover the overage JUST IN CASE?? (It can be returned later)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing is, I actually did, and it still went negative. I should have put something else in there. And I actually thought they would have caught the overage. Each cashier is different. And sometimes coupons beep. I really didn't know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome. I have yet to muster up the courage to put Corporate's # in my phone. I too always have issues at Target--especially with items ringing up the wrong price. (There, and Tom Thumb) My husband thinks it is a scam... He is sure they are doing it intentionally because "nobody looks at their receipts" and to make up for all the $ they are losing to us couponers! ; ) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah - you make me very proud! Way to stick to your guns! You are so much like your father!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Way to train those cashiers on coupon 101. :)

    I've experienced the same problems when it comes to Target employees adjusting coupons. I've found it's simply easier to buy enough other items to absorb the overage. However, I make sure to buy only those items that I would normally buy (like milk) just in case I meet a cashier who actually notices the overage and adjusts the coupon down.

    ReplyDelete