Monday, June 27, 2011

Bulk Cooking (My First Attempt)

One thing I've been wanting to try is bulk cooking - cooking several meals in one setting. I'm no pro, but I thought I'd share my experience.

My goal in my first attempt was to prepare meals with some of the same ingredients. I chose to make 2 each of 2 different chicken recipes, Chicken Casserole and Chicken Pot Pie.

1) I put 4 Chicken Breasts (1 for each meal) in the crock pot when I woke up. Chicken is easier to shred when it's been cooking in the crock pot for a few hours.

2) A few hours later, I started 1 (15oz) box of pasta and the filling for the pot pie.

3) Shred the chicken.

4) While the pasta is boiling, I finished up the filling. Instead of frozen vegetables, I used 2 cans of mixed veggies and 1 can of green beans. Then I divided the filling into 2 gallon bags (with the help of my pitcher).

5) For the casserole, I added the pasta, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 2 cans of mixed vegetables, and a little milk.

6) Then I divided it into 2 pans lined with foil and stuck it in the freezer. When it freezes, I will remove it from the pan so it lays easier in the freezer.

I thought 4 chicken breasts would be enough for 4 meals, but I guessed wrong. I needed to add 2-3 more breasts. So the 2 casseroles don't have chicken in them. We'll just have to cook some to go along with the meal. For the pot pie, all I have to do is assemble with the pie crusts.

Just stick them in the freezer until you need them. Pull your meal out in the morning and let it thaw during the day. Stick it in the oven at 400 for 30-40 minutes.

So - in under an hour (not including chicken in the crock pot), I was able to cook 4 meals. This will save me on a number of things: time, dishes, stress, money by NOT going out to eat. I will definitely try this again...one day.

Enjoy the FREE savings?
Subscribe & get updates sent directly to you  HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment